Location: Portland, OR
Date Posted: 05/28/2014
• Provide nutrition education to build community within and outside of New Seasons Market
• Plan and delegate efficiently and effectively, manage budget resources, educate staff, foster open communication, demonstrate workplace safety and food safety
• Observe all store rules and company policies as listed in the New Seasons Market Staff Handbook
• Work with managers and staff members to solve employee complaints and other workplace issues
• Observe sound conservation and recycling practices
• Perform other duties and tasks as assigned
• Act and dress professionally and provide the highest level of customer service at all times in a busy retail environment
• Facilitate unique nutrition education programs based on wholesome foods for our customers, community partners and store staff in a supportive manner with sensitivity to individual choices
• Develop distinctive nutrition programs addressing topical health issues and prepare and present classes/tours to our customers at/near our store locations on a variety of nutrition topics
• Develop, plan, coordinate, schedule and write curriculum for Nutrition & Wellness Class Brochure
• Plan, coordinate and manage nutrition activities and events for specific stores
• Provide nutrition education and presentations in our community while representing the values of New Seasons Market
• Facilitate, coordinate and present nutrition wellness classes for customers
• Develop a full knowledge of the stores products and services with the ability to educate customers on the benefits of the products and services available
• Responds to voicemails, emails sent to AskTheNutritionist and GlutenFree addresses; providing customers with resources and nutrition education materials
• Provide trainings to department staff to help them assist customers with questions about nutrition topics and popular food trends
• Provide training to new store staff regarding our nutrition services and strategies for helping customers with special dietary questions
• Provide individual nutrition counseling to staff members
• Attend internal Health Council Meetings and participate in Health Council Initiatives
• Inform the public of our unique programs
• Represent and effectively promote New Seasons Market at a variety of community events and via local media
• Write and integrate nutrition content including, tips and trends into social media and promotional materials
• Collaborate with marketing on class/tour offerings related to ad themes related to food and dietary trends
• Partner with businesses, teachers, program directors and health care providers in our area
B. Supervisory and Leadership Responsibilities
• Coordinate your actions with those of your co-workers so that the department operates smoothly.
• Maintain good communication with all New Seasons Market staff members.
• Assess and discuss situations relating to job responsibilities with nutrition team and evaluate ways to improve customer service, productivity, performance and class attendance.
• Notify department head of any condition or circumstance that may have an adverse effect on the workplace.
• Must have Bachelor of Science in Nutrition or Master of Science in Nutrition from an accredited institution.
• Experience with nutrition protocol for a broad range of health conditions and special dietary needs
• Knowledge of all store departments, products and services and ability to convey our values to the public
• Demonstrate solid writing skills, superior communication skills and ability to read and understand written instructions
• Experience teaching and competency with presentations, public speaking and nutritional counseling
• Previous experience in a retail setting and knowledge of areas specifically related to the grocery industry.
• Experience producing content for marketing using social media channels preferred, however not required
• Ability to travel between multiple store locations and to off-site events
• Ability to perform all duties and responsibilities in an efficient and satisfactory manner that meets or exceeds the standards outlined in the New Seasons Market Staff Handbook
• Bilingual skills would be a plus
The physical demands described here are representative of those required of a staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations are made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Regularly required to sit or stand, bend, climb and reach.
• Ability to lift 40 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that a staff member may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Environmental conditions may include:
• Working in refrigerated areas and on surfaces that can be wet and slippery
• Working in areas that maintain a moderate noise level (noisy)
• Working in an environment that is dusty at times
• Working in an environment that has fresh fruits, vegetables, houseplants and flowers
New Seasons Market
Contact Name: Mary Lou Keeran, Phone: (503)473-8725